Having known of a case (NEW WORLD COMMUNICATIONS v. JANE AKRE ) for awhile now, from 2003 in which the Supreme Court ruled in favour of media lies being protected under the First Amendment to the Constitution, and the journalists in question not being protected under the Whistleblower Protection Act of 1989, every time we hear any news these days we take it with a grain of salt.
But speaking of salt, "bath salts", a "new" meth-derived designer drug, with side effects such as chest pains, increased blood pressure, increased heart rate, agitation, hallucinations, extreme paranoia, and delusions , which up until a year ago was not detectable by standard drug tests, is now said not to be what made the man chew the face off of another man last month in Florida, according to drug tests by the Miami-Dade medical examiner .
While it may be true that Eugene wasn't on "Bath Salts", we can be pretty sure that it wasn't the majuanna that made him eat another man's face. Sure, from personal experience we can tell you that a person can get some pretty wicked munchies, but give us a fucking break. Clearly the problem was something more, such as severe mental illness that already existed, even in absence of a drug, if it was indeed only pot this guy had ingested; and who's to say that it wasn't a drug he has previously taken which had already metabolize through his system and left no remaining trace, save a taste for human face.
You just know someone, somewhere, is going to use this as an opportunity to demonize marijuana, like the addiction expert cited in an Associated Press article stating "she wouldn't rule out marijuana causing the agitation.". Cauging those quick news article skimmers, those jump to conclusion junkies, to forget that any drug, including nicotine withdrawal and alcohol, are just as likely to cause said agitation...but then, those are legal drugs.
It's like the majuanna scare through propaganda of the 60's...
but now watch out kids...now it'll make you EAT SOMEONE'S FACE!
But they can say what they want, whenever they want, after all, it's not against the law to lie to the public if you own a news company. According to the "the FCC policy against falsification of the news [which] does not rise to the level of a “law, rule, or regulation,” [it is] simply a “policy.” Therefore, it is up to the station whether or not it wants to report honestly."
It's not illegal for ANYONE to lie.
Did we mention we're actually a HIGHLY decorated war veteran too, and when the time comes, we are the ones who found the cure for cancer. Also, we wrote the Bible.
Obviously none of that is true, but who the hell cares. Why give credit where credit is due when it's totally legal to make those claims. It's your right to lie.
Today in a final ruling by the Supreme Court that will likely exonerate Reverend Jim Moats, a man who was being tried under The Stolen Valour Act for lying about being a Navy SEAL in the Vietnam War and receiving a Medal of Honour, the highest award of the American military . Today the Supreme Court of the United States of America overturned the law, originally passed by Congress and signed in 2005, that would have found Moats guilty, stating that "[the constitution] protects the speech we detest as well as the speech we embrace" . And according to the Supreme Court we're not "degrading the value" of being a veteran, curing a disease or writing a historical text, all these accomplishments, and any others we choose to claim...nobody is getting hurt. Right?
Lies no longer exist, only "speech we detest".
Lies are protected by the first ammendment. As a matter of fact, in the New Word Communications v. Jane Akre case, "FOX asserted that there are no written rules against distorting news in the media. They argued that, under the First Amendment, broadcasters have the right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on public airwaves."
“Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive”, cryptic words by Sir Walter Scott. Then, maybe lying was a bigger deal in his time, these days your honest lies are protected. It's almost commonplace. It's legal, so you shouldn't be surprised by the people in your life lying, the people on the internet lying, the new stations lying; and you definitely shouldn't be surprised about politicians lying, after all they're the ones who are making the rules anyway.
But what does this teach the world about us, America?
What does this teach future generations about any history we pass down. How will they know what to believe? Will they even care.
And what will become of perjury in years to come.
In the end you may be a lying bastard, but it's your God damned constitutional right, it's your FREEDOM* (to be a horrible human being)!
*unless you're gay and want to get marry; from another country that we find suspicious and/or don't like the colour of your skin, the cut of your jib or the tilt of your turban; are not Christian, or at least one of those religions that believe in the guy called God; or want an abortion for any reason at all.
Many other restrictions may apply.
Void where prohibited.
The term Freedom may not be used unless you are defending America, because no other country has freedom, even if they claim they do. No freedom is like American freedom, because we can own guns.
And sure, so can people in a lot of other countries. But we have tons of other freedoms.
Claims in this blog, while written and expressed by us, may not express our views.
And we may be lying, because hey, that's one of the freedom we do have that other countries don't.
Lying and guns.
God Bless America.
(1) NEW WORLD COMMUNICATIONS OF TAMPA, INC., d/b/a WTVT-TV v. JANE AKRE - Case No. 2D01-529, 2003 http://www.2dca.org/opinions/Opinion_Pages/Opinion_Page_2003/February/February%2014,%202003/2D01-529.pdf )
(2) "Bath Salts" - Emerging and Dangerous Products, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Nora D. Volkow, M.D., February 2011, http://www.drugabuse.gov/about-nida/directors-page/messages-director/2011/02/bath-salts-emerging-dangerous-products
(3) The Cannabis Cannibal? Miami Face-Eater Didn’t Take ‘Bath Salts’, Time, Maia Szalavitz, June 27 2012, http://healthland.time.com/2012/06/27/the-cannabis-cannibal-miami-face-eater-didnt-take-bath-salts/#ixzz1z6DSrp00
(4) Lab tests find pot, not ‘bath salt’ components, in system of man who chewed on other’s face, June 28 2012, Associated Press, Washington Post, http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/medical-examiner-only-marijuana-found-in-system-of-fla-man-in-face-chewing-attack/2012/06/27/gJQAqT8n7V_story.html
(5) The Media Can Legally Lie, Project Censored, Liane Casten, April 29 2010 http://www.projectcensored.org/top-stories/articles/11-the-media-can-legally-lie/
(6) Faking Heroism: Top Court to Rule on Stolen Valor, ABC News, Lee Ferhan, June 25 2012 http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/faking-heroism-top-court-rule-stolen-valor/story?id=16644077#.T-x__7UyngW
(7) Supreme Court ruling on Stolen Valor Act rests on 1st Amendment, LA Times, Tony Perry, June 2 2012 http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/06/us-supreme-strikes-down-stolen-valor-act-about-military-medals.html